IGRINS-2 has been delivered to Gemini North in September 2023 and successfully completed the first telescope integration run in early October. Once the telescope integration and commissioning is completed, IGRINS-2 will be offered to the Gemini User Community.
IGRINS-2 is a high-resolution near-infrared spectrograph (R~40,000; 1.49-2.46um), closely based on the original IGRINS (Immersion GRating INfrared Spectrograph). IGRINS-2 will become a Gemini North facility instrument, unlike IGRINS, which is a visiting instrument at Gemini South.
After successfully completing design review, the IGRINS-2 project is currently in the Telescope Integratio Stage led by the Korea Astronomy and Space Science Institute (KASI) in Daejeon, Korea. We are aiming to complete IGRINS-2 commissioning in mid-2024 and offering it to the Gemini science community in late 2024.
- Young Stellar Objects (YSOs) and their disks
- Young planets and brown dwarfs
- Binary systems
- Galactic evolution
- Interstellar Medium
All capabilities listed below are the goals and are subject to change.
- Spectral Coverage: 1.49-1.80um (H-band) and 1.96-2.46 um (K-band)
- Spectral resolving power: R~40,000
- Slit size: 0.33" (W) x 4.94" (L)
- Spectral Sampling: ~3 pixels
- Spatial Sampling: ~0.1”/pixel
First light was achieved in October 2023.
- Chan Park, Principal Investigator
- Young Sam Yu, Project Manager
- Heeyoung Oh, Systems Engineer
- Yunjong Kim, Optical Engineer
- Sanghyuk Kim, Mechanics Lead
- Mechanics Team: Jae Sok Oh, Bi-Ho Jang, Jeong-Gyun Jang
- Moo-Young Chun, Electronics Lead
- Electronics Team: Ueejeong Jeong, Hyeon Cheol Seong, Young Sam Yu
- Hye-In Lee, Software Engineer
- Project Support in KASI: Sungho Lee, Jae-Joon Lee, In-Soo Yuk, Byeong-Gon Park, Narae Hwang
- Project Support in UT: Cindy Brooks, Greg Mace, Dan Jaffe, Hanshin Lee, John Good
- Hwihyun Kim (GS), Project Manager
- Ruben Diaz (GS), Project Sponsor
- Brian Chinn (GS), Systems Engineer
- John White (GN), Engineering Support
- Eduardo Tapia (GN), Engineering Support
- Siyi Xu (GN), Project Scientist
- Hyewon Suh (GN), Project Scientist
- Jennifer Miller (GN), Project SOS
- Pablo Prado (GS), Project Support
- Francisco Ramos (GS), Software Support
If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Papers Describing aspects of IGRINS-2:
Design and development of the IGRINS-2 control software as a facility instrument of the Gemini observatory, Hye-In Lee, Francisco Ramos, Pablo Prado et al., 2022, SPIE, 12189