Science Operations Announcements
Gemini Observatory announces an opportunity for new Large and Long Programs (LLPs). Eligible PIs are invited to propose scientific investigations to begin in the 2021B semester. Letters of Intent (LoI) must be submitted no later than February 8, 2021, with complete proposals due April 1, 2021. Specifics on the 2021 call for proposals are available on the 2021 LLP Call page. General information on the LLP process is available on the Phase 1 LLP page.
The Gemini Cerro Pachón datacenter will be shut down on October 5 and 6, 2020 due to maintenance work on the power infrastructure. The Gemini South ODB is still accessible. The only service that is unavailable is the DSS Gemini image catalog server. If automatic image display in the OT does not seem to be working, then select another image server.
While the Gemini-S telescope has been closed during recent months, our team has been working on preparing detailed plans for re-opening, as soon as the conditions in Chile would allow.
A decision has been taken that from September 28th we can start work on preparing the Gemini-S telescope for limited night-time operation. Assuming that all the preparations will go well, we may be back to observing at night by the second half of October.
Gemini North will be closed the nights of Saturday and Sunday, July 25 and 26, due to Hurricane Douglas. The Gemini North datacenter may be taken offline if the severity of the forecast increases.
Any further updates will be posted to this page.
The Gemini South observing database will be offline for several hours on Tuesday, July 7, 2020 for maintenance. If you cannot connect then please try again in a few hours.
This should not affect access to the Gemini North database, though users of the OT may see some connectivity warnings.
Update: As of 14:00 Chilean time on July 7, 2020 the Gemini South observing database is back online. Please submit a Helpdesk ticket if you encounter any problems.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic the Gemini South telescope is currently not observing. This situation is likely to continue for some time to come. Therefore we have decided that the Phase-2 preparation deadline for Gemini South 2020B programs can be delayed by one month until August 20, 2020.
The Gemini North Phase-2 deadline remains July 20, 2020.